The former Royal Mint stands on the land of the peoples of the Kulin Nation.
The gleaming coat of arms, Renaissance Revival architecture and imposing brick wall of the Former Royal Mint are familiar to many Melbournians.
Today, the main building is home to the Hellenic Museum and a series of offices for commercial businesses. The northern guardhouse is now a bar and restaurant and the southern guardhouse is the base for Working Heritage. The Mint Car Park at the rear of the site is a public car park that funds our activities.
In its heyday the Royal Mint was many things: a factory, grand public building, family home and tourist attraction. Opened in 1872 to manufacture gold coins it was a key institution in the development of Melbourne as a city, Victoria as a colony, and Australia as a nation.
An extensive factory complex once occupied much of the site. These laboratories, furnaces, chimneys and coining rooms were demolished in the 1970s and the remains of these buildings lie under what is now the car park.
Many Victorians also remember the Former Royal Mint as the Registry of Civil Marriages in the 1970s and 80s.
The Former Royal Mint was the first place Working Heritage was appointed to manage. Beginning in 1998, Working Heritage (then Mint Inc), conserved the remaining buildings, including the beautiful interiors of the main building, and adapted them for use as a museum, offices and bar.
As well as maintaining the buildings and grounds of the Former Royal Mint we are carrying out remediation and conservation works to the perimeter wall as well as landscaping and other improvements.
t: 9600 1667
Former Royal Melbourne Mint
280 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 13287
Law Courts Post Office
277 William Street
Melbourne VIC 8010
Permanent and casual parking
is available at the Mint Car Park,
280 William Street, Melbourne.