The Clunes Angling Club is based at the Clues School of Mines. Being on the banks of the Creswick Creek, the building is an appropriate home for the club. It is also used as a meeting space for community groups.
The Clunes School of Mines stands on the land of the Dja Dja Wurrung people.
This simple Gothic hall operated as a school for educating miners for just a short time – from February 1892 until June 1893.
Since its original use, it has been utilised as a meeting place for the County Women's Association and Australian Natives Association, a mattress factory and an infant welfare centre.
Working Heritage was appointed to manage the Clunes School of Mines in June 2011. The tiny gothic gabled timber building still contains original paintwork and wall stencils that were revealed through the removal of a wall added in the 1950s, and are now on display. Furnaces remain in the back room where students learnt how to melt gold. A red brick fireplace is still in the front room that was used for mining lectures. It is one of probably only two small school of mines left in the state.
Extensive conservation works carried out since 2011 stand the building in good stead for it to be a community resource into the future.
Photographs by Andrew Curtis.
t: 9600 1667
Former Royal Melbourne Mint
280 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 13287
Law Courts Post Office
277 William Street
Melbourne VIC 8010
Permanent and casual parking
is available at the Mint Car Park,
280 William Street, Melbourne.