Jack's Magazine stands on the land of the Wurundjeri people who have been part of the Maribyrnong River valley for countless generations.
Since 2016 creative tenants have been utilising a series of spaces at Jack's Magazine on a low-cost basis as part of the Jack's Reloaded program.
Working Heritage recently asked groups interested in leasing all or part of Jack's Magazine to come forward and register their interest. It is now working with a select group of participants to develop detailed proposals for future use of the site.
Hidden away at the base of an escarpment on the Maribyrnong River, the imposing bluestone walls, magazines and earth mounds of Jack’s Magazine have connections to turning points in Victoria’s history – from the gold rush to world wars.
The magazine was opened in 1878 to safely store gunpowder imported into the colony of Victoria. The site later provided storage for other dangerous materials used in the ammunition factories close by. Jack's Magazine spurred the growth of military industry in the area that became known as the ‘arsenal of Australia’.
The Victorian Government appointed Working Heritage to manage Jack’s Magazine in June 2015.
In late 2017, Working Heritage has asked for potential tenants of Jack's Magazine to come forward and register their interest in leasing all or part of the site. Various proposals are now being assessed for suitability.
For more information about Jack's Magazine visit www.jacksmagazine.org.au
Photographs by John Gollings.
t: 9600 1667
Former Royal Melbourne Mint
280 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 13287
Law Courts Post Office
277 William Street
Melbourne VIC 8010
Permanent and casual parking
is available at the Mint Car Park,
280 William Street, Melbourne.