Horticultural Hall sits on Crown Land which remains unceded by its traditional owners the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung. It is Working Heritage’s intent to confront the colonial history of the sites under our management and make genuine steps towards reconciliation.
Located on Victoria Street, across the road from the Victorian Trades Hall building, Horticultural Hall first opened its doors in 1873 as a meeting place for the Victorian Horticultural Society. The property was used for meetings, shows, competitions, a library, and over the course of the 20th century was leased out to an eclectic mix of tenants including the Italian anti-Fascist Matteotti Club, trade unions and the Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology. The site features the 19th-century hall, offices, gardens, auxiliary buildings, and a car park.
Working Heritage began managing Horticultural Hall in 2000 and has since carried out extensive conservation works on both the hall and attached offices – restoring the interiors and improving the building’s accessibility, functionality and environmental performance while conserving its cultural significance.
The property is currently leased to Victorian Opera, who use the hall as a rehearsal space and the remainder of the building for their administrative offices.
Visiting the Site
The property is generally closed to the public but keep an eye out for special events and open days.