The house at Farm Vigano, now a bustling Italian Restaurant, has a spectacular setting overlooking a sweeping bend in the Plenty River. The buildings are set in extensive gardens and grounds that are always open to the public to enjoy. Visit for a game of bocce or tennis, pick some produce in the orchard or enjoy a drink on the terrace looking over the Plenty Gorge.
Farm Vigano is a link to the emergence of Italian culture in Melbourne – of food, music, art and family life. Mario Vigano pioneered Italian cuisine in Melbourne through his restaurant Mario’s on Exhibition Street in Melbourne. With his wife, artist Maria Teresa Vigano, the couple purchased the farm in the 1930s to supply their restaurant and to escape the chaos of their restaurant. During the 1950s they transformed the original cottage into a grand brick and weatherboard residence that reflected their attitude to hospitality and family life.
The Vigano’s descendants, including Patricia and Mietta O’Donnell, continued the food traditions the Viganos brought to Melbourne in the 1930s.
Working Heritage began managing Farm Vigano in 2005. The property had been neglected, vandalised and was being considered for demolition. A lot of work and significant resources brought the place back to life, and have made it into a place used and valued by the community.
Working Heritage is planning for the future of Farm Vigano. In late 2016 the Farm Vigano Masterplan and Management Plan was launched to provide strategic direction for the site and identify ways its cultural heritage, relationship to the community and financial outcomes can be enhanced.
t: 9600 1667
Former Royal Melbourne Mint
280 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PO Box 13287
Law Courts Post Office
277 William Street
Melbourne VIC 8010
Permanent and casual parking
is available at the Mint Car Park,
280 William Street, Melbourne.